Assoc. Prof. Süleyman Eserdağ, MDCosmetic Gynecologist & Sexual Therapist
Fellow of European Committee of Sexual Medicine (FECSM)
Editor of the Book ‘Female Aesthetic and Functional Genital Surgery’

Hymen Operation For Vaginismus

Hymen Operation For Vaginismus

Vaginismus is a common sexual problem which is seen as sexual dysfunction in couples. For the treatment of vaginismus, hymen surgery may be necessary in some special cases. In this section, detailed information is given about hymenectomy (surgical removal of the hymen) and hymenotomy (surgical incision of the hymen) for vaginismus problem. In the meantime, the hymen is the name of sexual organ, ‘-tomy’ means the incision procedure and ‘-ectomy’ means the removal procedure.

Anatomical causes compose about 10% of vaginismus. The remaining 90% part is of psychological origin. A simple gynecological examination is very important to determine this situation and clearly diagnose the vaginismus problem.

How is vaginismus diagnosed?

A gynecological examination is essential for the diagnosis of vaginismus. A simple visual examination that lasts less than a minute allows making a clear diagnosis and determining the degree of the problem.

How is the examination of hymen?

The first step of vaginismus treatment is the gynecological examination. During the external observation made on the gynecological table, it is understood whether there is a problem about the hymen. Hymen examination is made before vaginismus treatment and outer genital areas are visually examined. The severity of this sexual problem is also determined. The gynecologist should have enough information and experience for accurate diagnosis. Surgical procedures and simple surgical interventions can be made for congenital problems about the hymen.

Who can undergo hymen operations for vaginismus treatment?

Hymen structure of every woman can be congenitally different. In these cases, surgical operations can be made to provide a solution.

Congenital anomalies of hymen:

  • Septate hymen,
  • High-edged (hilar) hymen,
  • Closed hymen (imperforated hymen),
  • Hard, thick and fleshy hymen (rigid hymen)

Surgical removal of the hymen (Hymenectomy)

Surgical removal of hymen is called as ‘hymenectomy’ operation. Hymenectomy is performed if the hymen is too hard, thick and high-edged (fleshy). The hymenectomy operation usually takes an average of 15-20 minutes. One month after hymenectomy operation, sexual therapies are started, so the psychological part of the problem will be solved.

Surgical incision of the hymen (Hymenotomy)

For vaginismus treatment, hymenotomy (surgical incision of hymen) can be performed to high-edged but thin hymen types. This operation is called ‘hymenotomy’. Hymenotomy operation usually lasts for 1 to 2 minutes, incisions are made on a few different areas. It is usually made with local anesthesia. However, sedation anesthesia can be required for patients with higher anxiety. One or a few days after the procedure, sexual therapy can be started.

Hymen operations and solution for vaginismus treatment

For the treatment of vaginismus, hymenectomy and hymenotomy operations should be performed by experienced physicians. Thus, solution process will be accelerated. Psychological treatment should also be given after hymen surgeries for vaginismus. Because physical problems can lead to psychological problems over time. In vaginismus, it is possible to reach a permanent result only with accurate and scientific methods.


In this section, you will find some of the hands-on aesthetic genital surgery (cosmetic gynecology) courses, trainings and meetings given by Assoc. Prof. Süleyman Eserdağ.

Contact and Appointment

After completing the form, we will return to you. Thank you for choosing us.

Assoc. Prof. Süleyman Eserdağ, MDAssoc. Prof. Süleyman Eserdağ, MDCosmetic Gynecologist & Sexual Therapist
Fellow of European Committee of Sexual Medicine (FECSM)
Editor of the Book ‘Female Aesthetic and Functional Genital Surgery’
+90 (530) 763 34 00
This website uses cookies to collect data in order to create statistics to improve the quality of our website. You can accept or refuse our cookies by clicking on the buttons below or by visiting our Cookie Policy page. A default "no consent" option applies in case no choice is made and a refusal will not limit your user experience.
AcceptRefuseCookie Policy